The CCLGL Section provides a wide range of benefits, services, and programs to its members–are you familiar with them all? Member benefits include:
- Discounted CLEs. Members receive a discounted rate on all CCLGL Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs, including our popular annual Seminars and Conference, and shorter CLE webinars on current topics throughout the year. You can see our upcoming CLEs, and a link to past and on-demand CLEs, on the CCLGL website, under “CLEs & Events.”
- Networking Opportunities. During in-person seminars and conferences, the Section hosts networking and social events to help members connect with one another and build relationships. We hope to get back to that in the latter half of 2021 and into the future.
- Listserv Access. Members have access to the Section’s Listserv, through which our members discuss interesting questions in local government law. This includes access to the Listserv archives, where you can search through all prior posts.
- Scholarships & Grants. To help support the profession and inspire interest in local government law practice, the Section is pleased to provide the following:
- Law Student Awards: The Section’s annual scholarships are designed to recognize one law student at each Florida law school who has excelled in a law school course focused on local government law issues, or has exhibited an interest in local government law during the academic year, by providing a $500 cash award, a plaque recognizing their achievement, and an invitation to participate in the awards luncheon at the Section’s annual meeting.
- Grants: The Section’s grant awards program provides grants to Florida local government in-house attorney offices (for counties, municipalities, school boards, and special taxing districts) to fund paid college student or law student internships during the summer each year.
- Diversity Fellowship Program:. The CCLGL Fellowship Program, first enacted in 2021, provides financial assistance for attorneys who have a demonstrated interest in practicing local government law, as well as an interest in greater involvement in the CCLGL Section and its committees, but who would not otherwise be able to participate due to financial constraints. The Section will select a maximum of 2 candidates each year to receive up to $1,000 each, to reimburse them for attending Section meetings and social events. More information and an application is available here.
- Publications & Social Media.
- Stetson Law Review: Members receive a free print copy of the Stetson University College of Law’s annual Local Government Law Symposium journal, which includes timely local government law articles and digests of relevant cases from the prior year.
- The Florida Bar Journal: The Section sponsors member articles in the Florida Bar Journal; if you’re interested in submitting an article, reach out to the Florida Bar Journal committee chair.
- The Agenda: The Agenda is the Section’s quarterly newsletter, which provides articles on hot topics and Section news. If you’d like to submit content to the Agenda, reach out to the Agenda committee chair.
- Social Media: CCLGL Facebook, Twitter, and (coming soon) LinkedIn pages are all tools the Section uses to share information related to local government law—including education opportunities, job opportunities, member profiles, Section initiatives, and networking opportunities. The Section’s social media presence is getting a refresh, so Like, Follow, or Friend the Section on social media today!
- Leadership & Service Opportunities. Members can become involved in the Section in numerous ways, such as serving on Section committees, providing content for Section publications and social media, attending Executive Council meetings, and serving on the Executive Council.
- CCLGL Website. cclgl.org was launched in 2021 as a new, improved resource for sharing CCLGL content with members. This includes an up-to-date calendar of CCLGL CLEs and meetings; more detailed information on Section Committees; job postings; hot topics and news articles; links to Section publications; a gallery of Section photos (if you have any photos that should be included, please email them to the Section Chair); a Hall of Fame for Section award winners; useful links including Section Bylaws; resources for those who want to get more involved with the Section; and much more.
For more information on any of these benefits, or to get involved, contact the appropriate Section committee chairs or your Executive Council members, and visit the Section’s Get Involved page.